What can you do to help?
- Learn about the issues/symptoms of some illnesses – watch a film, read a book, look on websites or in libraries
- You could watch films which are based on mental health issues, such as ‘A Beautiful Mind’ or ‘Bennie and Joon’. They can be very therapeutic and educational, although please note that some are not totally correct in their portrayal of all symptoms. A very useful website I have found is http://cinematherapy.com/filmindex/mentalillness On this website you can click on the mental illness you wish to see a film based upon, and they come up with a list where you can find out more about the movie descriptions.
- Help others you know with a mental health problem – friends or family – be more understanding and supportive. This can be difficult at times, as the symptoms of some illnesses can affect you directly too, or can be difficult to understand, but be patient – it will be worth it in the end!
- Visit one of the charities and find out other ways you can help (you can see them here)
- If you have a mental health issue, talk to others – your doctor, a therapist, a friend, your family or one of the charities here – don’t stay silent – get help!
Why don’t you take a look on these sites today and learn something – you may be able to understand or help one of your friends, colleagues or family or even yourself today!
Knowledge gives you the power to help!
To read more about my campaign click HERE
To read more about the Charities click HERE
To read more about the case studies click HERE
To read posts on the subject of mental health click HERE